Wednesday, February 24, 2010

During Merton

So, God bless Thomas Merton and being able to calm me down. During class just now, I wrote this:

My God does not walk above me,
threatening lightning strikes
My God does not walk behind me,
pushing or prodding
My God does not walk below me,
beyond my understanding and under my awareness
No, my God does not walk in any of those places.
My God walks beside me,
as friend, companion and confidant
We walk this path together towards greater
life, love, and beauty
My God is always with me-
hearing prayers, thoughts
And even in the deep dark corkers,
the fleeting dreams of doubt and loss,
no judgement is passed
Only listening is had
My God is there for me to lean on when life becomes too much,
even when I don't consider my ever-loving "crutch"
My God knows my tears, and cries them with me;
lives all my laughter and celebrates in it joyously;
my god rejects, comprehends, muddles, fumbles,
discovers, and embraces all hand-in-hand with me.

No thought is insignificant, no emotion unworthy,
no word "utter"ly useless
My God has enough patients, enough time, enough loved
to experience, feel, and hear it all unceasingly
The eyes never shut, the ears never close up, the arms never retract, and heart never closes
They are always, ever, open and waiting for my readiness.

My God is not in a hurry- just waiting,
always offering this love-
for me to take it up.
How long can I wait?
This is yet to be seen, but my God awaits,
ever beside me.

1 comment: