Thursday, January 20, 2011

Peace

My mom's best friend, Joyce, passed away yesterday. She's been battling cancer for years, and in my heart I know she has now found peace.

My mom is very sad. Which makes my heart sad because she is my mommy.

It has been my experience that people often ask "Why did God make this happen?" or "Why did God let this happen?" I would have asked the same question a few years ago. However, buying into process theology... my God doesn't make things happen. Cells have free will. Sometimes those cells mutate, cancer then happens. I don't think that there is some 'dude' sitting up in 'heaven' making a list of people that should be stricken with cancer or death etc. In fact, the God I believe in cannot do those things. And I find it comforting that God is with us through the things we experience, the pains and sorrows.

So, as I try to comfort my mom in the next few days, weeks, months and so on all I can do is show her, and others, alternatives... my little fractured thoughts about how things work.

So, may Joyce rest in peace. May she been more fully in the presence of God, and may she continue to touch the hearts and lives of those of us still walking this earth. I, for one, think she will be reborn into another beautiful person. And the people that know her new form will know her smile, the joy of her laugh, and the beauty of her soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment