Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Classes

So, I think I have between 5-6 drafts sitting on here that I don't know where I was going with...or couldn't articulate properly how I feel about whatever it was I decided to write about. I think I get worried that what I am writing isn't really valid or important- until it struck me that what I write doesn't always have to be some highly polished deep thing, because that's not how I work as a person OR feel spiritually. My religious life is such a mess, so much chaos and uncertainty I don't think I could ever articulate it all with precision and eloquence. Some of the stuff I was trying to write about is also difficult for me to address, personally...and really confront it.

Might I note it is freezing in the Chapel! I need to bring a blanket with me here, my coat just isn't cutting it. (Today is a day I wish I lived on campus...as always, really).

I'm taking a lot of religion classes this semester. 5, actually. Spiritual disciplines, Merton, Christianity in the New Testament, colloquium, and my LOTR/Gandalf & religion independent study. (I'm also taking math and international cinema). Now, I don't need to be taking half of these classes... but I want to, so I am. I really want to be immersed in religion this semester, so no matter which way I look I really am encountering God.

Spiritual disciplines seems like it will be interesting as well as fulfilling. We have to pick 3 disciplines to do, 5 weeks each. I've decided to do fasting for my first. I'm going to do it Ramadhan style and eat only after sunset, which is kind of early right now, so I am going to aim for eating after 7. Then I want to do meditation, and then perhaps service. I am toying with the idea of starting mediation now as well as fasting. It's been years since I've done mediation on a regular basis, and it was rewarding before so I feel like it would be now. Alan is also giving us the option to hand-write our journals which makes me exceedingly happy. I think it will be much more beneficial for me that way.

Merton looks to be awesome as well. Great people! And I cannot wait for our trip!

Christianity in the New Testament seems to be cut-and-dry, biblical history class. It's my first (and only) scripture class, so it wil be interesting to do.

In colloquium we are reading Speaking of Faith! Which is my favorite religion book! I am so so so excited to read this book with my friends in the department. It has touched my life so much. I really hope they enjoy it. (I've quoted it here before). This was the book that introduced me to tikkun olam. I am sooooooo excited I can barely stand it!

My LOTR/Gandalf and religion indy study is going to be amazing. The books I am looking at are fantastic. It's just going to be a lot of reading. A ton. A crap ton. Starting with re-reading LOTR and the Hobbit (hopefully!) by the end of next week. I need to get it out of the way asap so I can start my research.

I have to be off now for Christianity, but I will write more... things are swinging in me

No comments:

Post a Comment